Is your pet slowing down because of age, or is it something else?
Signs of pain in pets often go unnoticed because our pets are stoic. We frequently believe that ‘slowing down’ is a normal sign of ageing. In fact, slowing down often is a sign of pain or other illness.
SIGNS OF PAIN IN DOGS
- Slow to lie down
- Slow to get up
- Unwillingness to go up/down stairs
- Unwillingness to walk/play
- Loss of appetite
- ‘Clinging’ behavior
- Uncharacteristic growling when touched
SIGNS OF PAIN IN CATS
- Sleeping more
- Cautious behavior/moving slowly
- Loss of or change in appetite
- Uncharacteristic growling or affection
- Urinating or defecating outside the litterbox
- Poor hair coat (‘clumping’ or mats)
- Nighttime vocalization
- Less or limited jumping
If you suspect that your pet is exhibiting signs of pain, LET US KNOW!! Your veterinarian will discuss evaluation and pain management with you.