Everyone loves springtime and the opportunity to spend more time outdoors. Our pets love to explore the new garden growth as well but beware some plants are toxic to our pets.
Some of the first flowers to pop up include tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and narcissus whose bulbs can be toxic to dogs. Crocuses and certain types of lilies can be toxic to cats, especially tiger lilies which many people cut to bring in the house.
Early symptoms of poisoning include vomiting and diarrhea but can quickly escalate to cardiac arrhythmia, seizures and possible death. If you suspect your pet may have eaten something poisonous contact your veterinarian immediately.
Try to keep an eye on your pets outdoors. Dogs especially love to dig up the bulbs in the flower beds. We can’t see everything they do outside but if you should happen to see early signs of possible poisoning call your vet immediately. The sooner they get treatment the more likely there will be a good outcome.
Enjoy spring and be safe!